Public Liability Claims Slips and Trips

Accident injury compensation can apply to road accidents, workplace accidents or a slip trip or fall in a public place. Public place accidents are also known as public liability claims.

Public liability cases can happen anytime and anywhere. They may occur in workplace premises, supermarkets, shops, shopping centres, gyms, swimming pools or on a public footpath.

If you have suffered a slip trip or fall in a public place it is extremely important to get independent advice. You may obtain advice quickly and easily at no cost from an injury helpline such as the Australian injury Helpline. An injury helpline offer services that include free information, fact sheets forms and a referral service to recommended no-win-no-fee solicitors. Call 1300 430 834.

Where there has been a slip trip or a fall in a public place there is a strong possibility negligence is involved. Negligence must be clearly proven and established. A strong case will need to be built for the negligence claim or common law claim to be successful.

Here are some KEY things to remember;-

  • Take photos of the location. This is critical in showing where and why you slipped. It will be a great help to your solicitor to support your claim.
  • After you have taken photos, you MUST report the matter to the premises manager. For example the shopping centre manager or local Council must be made aware of the injury to prevent any further trip slip and falls from occurring.
  • Gather as many witnesses as you can and collect their contact details. Witnesses can prove very valuable to support your claim.
  • Gather information on any previous similar incidents in the same place.

Establishing negligence is not easily done and it’s a lawyers place to investigate. An insurance company may do their own investigation, but with their own interests in mind. An insurer is not looking to build a case for the injured person but to build a case against a large insurance claim arising.

It is recommended never to accept an offer of compensation from an insurance company until you have received a second opinion first. It is not up to the insurance company to ensure you get everything to which you are entitled, for this is the job of a solicitor. Once you have accepted an offer of compensation it may mean the end of your claim and the end of your rights to a future claim.

Your entitlements to compensation in a slip, trip or fall may depend on a number of variables;

  • Where the injury took place – i.e. which Australian State or Territory
  • Why the injury happened – all the surrounding circumstances
  • Whether negligence can be clearly proven
  • Whether negligence was full or partial
  • Whether the slip trip or fall happened on the way to or from work

There is a general duty of care that must be demonstrated to ensure a place is safe for the general public. By law if an occupier or owner of premises is negligent a person is entitled to injury compensation.

Examples of typical public liability claims;

  • Injuries caused by slips trips and falls on a uneven public footpath
  • Injuries caused by broken tiles in a public swimming pool
  • Faulty equipment in a gym
  • A slip, trip or fall in a supermarket or shopping centre due to wet slippery floors
  • Items falling on people unexpectedly

If you have suffered a slip, trip or fall in a public place it is best to seek medical advice straight away. Even if you don’t think your injury is too bad. It is wise to seek medical advice on how to manage your injury and have you thoroughly examined by a professional. To make a claim contact us or call 1300 430 834.